CIS 33A - Programming in PERL
Summer Session 2009 -
De Anza College
Assignment-3 (Due Wednesday, 7/22 - at
Instructions: Write a PERL version of the UNIX wc
utility. You will probably want to read the man page for wc and
play around with it as a first step in completing this assignment.
Your program does not have to provide all of the functionality
of this utility, but at a minimum, it must do the following:
- Allow the user to specify one, two, or all three of these options:
-l, -w, and -c. However, your program does not have to permit the "shorthand"
form of these options, i.e., you do not have to handle "-lw" or "-lwc".
- Allow the user to provide input via STDIN (redirecting a file from the
command line) OR via specifying one or more filenames as invocation arguments.
- Output each filename that the user specified via an invocation argument.
- Output appropriate totals if more than one file was specified on the command-line.
- Format the output exactly the same as the system's wc output.
- Use the testwc program to test your
program in the same manner as I will be doing.
The two text files used by testwc are constitution.txt and gettysburg.txt.
To hand in your assignment, send me one and only one email with one separate text-file attachment named as specified above. The Subject line should be
Perl ASSIGNMENT-3. Please put your name as it appears in De Anza College records in the body of the message.